Sunday, August 26, 2012

Just an example

So I'm not exactly saying this is a personal recipe, because it's not at all original or made from scratch. But let me show you an example of one of my favorite meals and how I made it a little bit healthier....
First of all, it's homemade pizza. Second of all, I bought the dough...doh! It is one of those premade pizza doughs they sell either in the freezer or deli section of most supermarkets. It is whole wheat, and I did figure it into the final calorie count at the end. Oh yeah, and I had David roll it out for me. I always seem to end up with a giant hole in the middle of my dough!
So let's check where we're at so far...switched up from regular pizza dough to whole wheat. Don't think it makes a whole bunch of difference calorie wise, but always choose whole wheat if given the option!
Next for the toppings...
I used the really finely shredded mozzarella and pepperoni. I used a fairly good amount of cheese, but probably less than a serving size from the nutritional info on the package. Good news. You don't have to eat just plain cheese pizza for the rest of your life. I used turkey pepperoni, and each slice (serving) has approximately 2 pieces. Very minimal on calories and fat :).
Then for the tomato sauce, I always have those small cans of plain tomato sauce in my cabinet. They are perfect for just this occasion. I simply pour it into a bowl and mix in the spices I want. A little garlic, oregano, red pepper, etc. I used about 2, 2.5 tablespoons for the entire pizza.
One more side note, I use a pizza stone, so there is no need to add any oil to the bottom.
I'm sure there are more places where I can still cut down calories, but not bad for a quick meal requiring very little thought and ingredients.
And the total calorie count per slice of homemade pizza: 208. Keep this in mind, Papa John's slice of pepperoni pizza: 330.
Enjoy!
Pizza stone :)

http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/Detail.aspx?id=8abc6c42-6877-4d25-9254-99ada3ddf285I found a great dough recipe. It is pretty darn easy. And I usually just switch at least a cup of the flour for whole wheat flour.

2 comments:

  1. What's a pizza stone?? I think I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a stone where you cook pizzas :).
    I will post a picture of the one we have. David's sister got it for us and it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete